Apply for the Fringe
Submissions for the Fringe 2020 will open on 20th April, sign up to our newsletter to receive an alert.
Deptford X Fringe celebrates and promotes the area’s art scene. It is an opportunity for artists to show their work to a wider public and participate in an established event. It is a uniquely un-juried programme, meaning that if you submit an idea that fulfils the criteria (below) then you are guaranteed a place in the Fringe. The Fringe is primarily aimed at artists who are active in our local borough of Lewisham.Contributions are welcome from visual artists of any and every kind: amateurs or professionals, trained or untrained, emerging or established. We are looking for exhibitions, films, performances, happenings, workshops, interventions into the local landscape, and any other kind of visual arts project. Any site, space or venue within a kilometre of Deptford Station can apply as a host venue or be approached by an artist for their project.
Placing art in unexpected places and everyday situations is central to the work of Deptford X. In the past festival artists have presented their work in shop windows, libraries, roundabouts, public walls and squares, railway arches, pubs, cafes, churches, community centres, railway stations, rooftops, bin lorries, billboards, restaurants, cinemas, cellars… the list is almost endless. We encourage you to be creative.
We particularly welcome participation by artists from black and minority ethnic backgrounds, and by artists with disabilities. These groups have historically been under-represented in the Fringe.
We encourage anyone with an idea for the Fringe to attend a Fringe Social in advance of submitting your listing, we will begin hosting Fringe Socials in 2020, for news on when these are happening sign up to our newsletter.
Although Deptford X Fringe is open to all, submissions must meet the following criteria or they will not be accepted:
- All sites, spaces and venues must be within 1km of Deptford’s main train station.
- Your venue must be confirmed before you submit an application.
- We encourage Fringe contributors to work with sites that are accessible to wheelchair users.
- The festival’s curated exhibitions will be open 12-6pm, in October (Dates TBC). If you’re planning an exhibition please make sure your opening hours match (or fall within) these dates and times.
- You commit to providing Deptford X post-event feedback and visitor numbers.
- Deptford X can take no responsibility for the content of any Fringe project. We reserve the right to decline any listing that we deem discriminatory, offensive or contrary to our values. We define values as principles of behaviour and/or judgements of what is important. Our organisational values are: art, learning, care, respect, openness and equality.
Provided all of the above criteria are met your project will be accepted into the Fringe. There is no fee to participate.