About Deptford X
Deptford X is a visual arts charity based in Deptford, South East London. We foster artistic talent and nurture community within the borough of Lewisham and beyond. We achieve this through a free annual festival in Deptford and ongoing activity supporting artists and our local communities throughout the year.
Founded in 1998, Deptford X is London’s longest-running visual arts festival. Each year, we stage a free, ten-day festival, working with hundreds of artists to locate art at the centre of everyday life for all of the area’s communities.
- Is led by local artistic ambition, interests and practice.
- Brings art into informal contexts and public spaces for all to access.
- Seeks to make a positive contribution to our locality, communities, and to art, and to lead by example.
- Places equity, accessibility and care at the heart of the organisation.
- Holds space and advocates for difference, creativity, experimentation and learning within art.
Fundamentally we support artists and creative practice, as well as those who do not yet identify as artists, with a focus over the next three years on:
1) People of Colour: Specifically local Black communities. We are actively redressing the balance of participation in Deptford X and visual arts as a whole and making space for People of Colour-led creative programming.
2) Disabled people: We are working to remove barriers to participation in our work and inviting disability-led programming.
3) Young people: We are developing ways to engage local audiences and participants at a younger age and create pathways for their participation and ownership of Deptford X.
Board of Trustees
Seema Manchanda, Chair
Deptford X Staff
Nathalie Boobis, Director
Jareh Das, Deputy Director
Jessica Slater, Programme and Communications Manager
Aisling Ward, Festival Assistant (Production)
Katya Bobina, Festival Assistant (Communications and Volunteers)
Registered Charity: 1087490